Sponge GoundTuesday 03 November 2015
Other Local Name :
Botanical Name : Luffa aegyptiaca
Family : Cucurbitaceae
Main Use : Vegetable/Medicine
Other Uses : সবজি/ওষুধ
One of the robust green vegetable is Sponge Gourd , It is also known as Luffa , Dhundul in bangla and Luffa aegyptica in Latin
Sponge Gourd is a fruit vegetable. The tender fruits are used as vegetables. The ripe and dried fruits are used as scrubbing sponge in bathrooms and kitchens.
The plants prefer temperature range of 30-35 °c with a mean minimum of 20 °c, with full sun and well drained soil. Organic matter rich soil with pH 6.0 7.5. The plants are fairly drought
tolerant. Excessive nitrogen fertilizer is prohibitive because that encourages vegetative growth and reduces flowering and bearing.
Sponge Gourd has many human health benefits including:
1. The fruits contain insulin which is beneficial for diabetes.
2. The fruits help preventing cholesterol and excess weight.
3. The fruits prevent indigestion and cure jaundice.
4. The fruits are rich sources of calcium, phosphorus, iron and vitamin –B.
5. The fruits have antioxidant, antimicrobial, cardio protective, nephro protective, anticancer, anti-ulcer, hypolipidemic, and hepatoprotective propeties.